The Red Hawks varsity A field hockey players Kenndal Marsden left celebrates with Jamie Little who just scored for 1-0 lead and the eventual game-winner against arch rivals North Hastings High School in the Central Ontario Secondary School Athletics championship final on Thursday at Thomas A. Stewart Secondary School in Peterborough. The Hawks hung on for the 1-0 win against the NHHS Huskies. Hawks netminder Sydney Cameron earned the shutout preserving the win with a sprawling dive to take away a pass and then followed up with save late in the game. Both COSSA semi-finalists advanced to the all-provincials hosted in Peterborough./DARREN LUM Staff

Red Hawks avenge two early season losses

On Friday Dec. 4 the Haliburton Highlands Secondary School senior basketball team won two games at a tournament in Peterborough. In the first game of the year the Red Hawks defeated Crestwood 32-24. This victory avenged a loss suffered by the Red Hawks to Crestwood in the first game of the season (not the Kawartha league) a game won by Crestwood 54-38.

After trailing by 7-5 at the end of the first quarter HHSS pulled even at halftime 15-15 and pulled ahead at the end of three quarters 22-17. The Red Hawks were led in scoring by Caleb Schmidt with 11 points followed by Nick Thompson with seven and Hunter Smith with six. Leading rebounder was Nick Thompson with six. The Red Hawks had 15 turnovers more than they would want to have but getting the victory was their main goal.

In the second game of the tournament the Red Hawks again avenged an earlier season loss. In their second game of the season Kenner High School defeated the Redhawks 40-25. This time HHSS prevailed 41-31. Kenner started out with a zone defence and the Red Hawks shot them out of the zone. McKay Coneybeare made four consecutive three point shots in the first quarter and Hunter Smith hit another three at the buzzer to end the first quarter resulting in HHSS leading 21-0 at the end of the first. Obviously HHSS played outstanding defence in that quarter as well. Kenner then switched to a man to man defence pressing all over the court. The Red Hawks had some trouble adjusting to the press and Kenner progressively closed the gap. At halftime their lead was 22-6 and 29-18 at the end of three quarters.

Coneybeare led all scorers with 14 points followed by Nick Thompson with 11 points and Hunter Smith with 10. The leading rebounder for the Red Hawks was Jalen Campbell with nine. Nick Thompson had eight boards Hunter Smith had six and McKay Coneybeare had five. As a result of Kenner’s press the team had 22 turnovers once again way more than the team would want. But being able to avenge the earlier 15 point loss was quite a turnaround for the Red Hawks.

Their record now stands at 4-3 and 2-0 in Kawartha West league play. Their next game was Monday Dec. 7 at Haliburton Highlands High School. This was a league game against I.E. Weldon.

Submitted by Gordon Cochrane