‘Miracle baby’ will celebrate first ChristmasClose to one year after baby Prudence Evelyn-Anne Christie was released from the hospital her parents Mark Christie and Nicole Hanna reflect on the strong community support they continue to receive for their baby who nearly died at birth.“We stand together in this community. When there is someone hurting in this community there always seems like there is help. You know about it” says Christie. “When something happens here there is already a line-up of people saying ‘how can I help?’ To experience that it shows you something about where you live.”“It’s scary to think about if we were living somewhere else how that process would have been. I don’t know if we would have gotten as much help … I think we were in the best place to live when everything was going down.”Pru who has a 13-member medical team of professionals such as audiologist physiotherapist and pediatricians has a variety of lifelong challenges related to the complications she had at birth.Currently the disabilities she faces range from deafness and speech challenges to physical development. She is deaf in her left ear to high frequencies and the right she doesn’t have much hearing. This affects her speech. An early medical assessment by two pediatricians has diagnosed Pru with spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy which affects all four of her limbs. Her parents have been told there will be an accurate diagnosis about the long-term effects when she turns two. It is unknown at this time whether Pru will be able to walk. There is a chance she could walk with braces.Despite the many unknowns Christie and Hanna are focusing on the present spending time with their daughter rather than focusing on the challenges.“We’re just trying to spend as much time with her and not [get super] worried about it because it’s important to spend time with her. She’s pretty fun. A lot of people can’t really see any disability other than the hearing aids” he said. Christie smiles when he looks at his daughter who doesn’t look any different than a healthy baby girl except for the hearing aids.She has been his light in a dark time for the family. “It really puts into perspective just what is possible. Everything we hear from medical professionals nowadays we take with a grain of salt because … it’s not that the doctors were wrong but they may have been a little aggressive towards the comfort and care thing” he said. Hanna said baby Pru gave them the strength when little hope was given by doctors.“She makes it easy because she is such a happy baby and she’s always trying to do what she shouldn’t do [according to doctors]” she said. Christie draws strength from his daughter and knows he will do whatever it takes because of her.“When you get that close to losing something that special it makes you want to do anything to make their lives easier and me and Nicole have matured a lot from that. We’re just trying to get the best possible life together for her and us. It’s getting there one piece at a time for sure” he said. The family continues to be recognized and stopped by strangers in the street because of the Echo article earlier this year. Hanna and Christie appreciate the support.“Now that she is physically better people don’t just forget about her … They want to know how she is continuing to do and progress. It’s nice” she said. The parents can’t thank the community enough for the help and the prayers.They are appreciative of the treatment centre Five Counties Children’s Centre and not-for-profit support agency Point in Time’s Cynthia Hutchinson an early years interventionist. They said Five Counties is assisting with Pru’s therapies for speech occupational therapy and physiotherapy and meeting costs such as the required hearing aids. Pru is using a loaned pair until her own pair costing thousands can be purchased. Besides not being able to thank everyone the parents wished they could provide more time for people to spend with Pru. It’s difficult because of medical visits and work schedules. “Pru loses out on time with people and lots of people don’t get to see Pru as much as we’d like and … we are thankful for everyone’s support even though we can’t always be there in person to thank them” Christie said. The family has since moved to Haliburton from West Guilford where it is more convenient for work and health care. They are looking at the brighter side of things compared to how dire the situation was early in Pru’s life.“It’s still a pretty happy ending considering where everything was at the last time. She wasn’t supposed to be able to … feed breathe or anything … but 80 per cent of the [abilities] they said she couldn’t do she is doing” he said. Hanna adds Pru was not supposed to have been breathing without assistance or oxygen would lack a suck reflex which would prevent her from eating on her own and be unable to socialize.Pru’s parents know at this point in their daughter’s life there are more challenges ahead.However when they see the same doctors who doubted Pru would survive there is a certain level of satisfaction.“It’s just the little things you take for granted” Christie said.

Tykes win a nail-biter against CoyotesBantam girls tie one win twoCrusaders win over Bantam A’sStorm rocked by Port CarlingShamrocks luck out in game against Atom A’sMidgets battle Bears in tournament Shamrocks beat Peewees 4-3

On Saturday Nov. 18 the Tom Prentice and Sons Trucking Tykes travelled to Sunderland to play the Brock Wild. The Storm’s teamwork skating and shooting ability was no match for the Wild. The final score of the game was 7-1. The first period had six goals five being the Storm’s. Jack Tomlinson got two unassisted goals Easton Burk got his first of the season with the help of Luke Gruppe and Jaxen Casey gave the assist to Mason Latanville’s goal to finish out the period. Halfway through the second Zach Prentice helped Tomlinson get his first hat trick of the season. The final goal of the game was scored by Evan Perrott which was assisted by Ethan DeCarlo.

On Sunday Nov. 19 the Tykes hosted their first home game of the season at the S.G. Nesbitt Arena. The crowd was treated to a fast-paced action-packed game right from beginning to end. The Storm knew they would need to bring their A game if they wanted to beat the strong Kawartha Coyotes Red team as their last attempt resulted in a 5-5 tie.

Vanek Logan during the opening shift of the game set the fast pace with a beautiful backhand goal assisted by Matthew Scheffee. The Coyotes battled back putting them on the scoreboard just over a minute later. The next four minutes of the period was end-to-end action with both teams battling hard. The Coyotes managed to put one over the shoulder of the Storm’s goaltender to take the lead. Logan rallied back with another quick goal off the faceoff assisted by Mason Latanville. Seconds later the Coyotes put one in the net ending the period one goal ahead of the Storm.

The Coyotes managed to increase their lead to a two-goal lead early in the second. It was evident that the Storm needed to step up their game and that they did. From behind the net with his head up Tomlinson sent a tape-to-tape pass to Logan who was in perfect position in front of the net and beat the Coyotes goalie top shelf. Defenceman Evan Perrott used his speed and determination to tie up the game only 11 seconds off the next faceoff ending the second 4-4.

The third period was full of long shifts forcing both teams to change on the fly. Tomlinson and Latanville off a pass from defenceman Ethan DeCarlo seized the opportunity to skate up the ice together with Tomlinson putting the puck in the back of the net. Next Zach Prentice makes the perfect pass to Logan giving him the opportunity for a textbook breakaway goal. However the Coyotes would not give up scoring another goal minutes later. With fans on the edge of their seats watching a Coyotes player coming in on a breakaway Storm’s goaltender Carter Braun came up with a huge save keeping the Storm’s lead. In the final minutes of the game Latanville buried the puck in the back of the net off a rebound to extend the Storm’s lead. Braun came up big again holding the Coyotes off. Unfortunately with 3.8 seconds left in the game the Coyotes scored but the Storm still took the game ending in a 7-6 final. It was the most exciting game of the season to date and great sportsmanship was shown by all.

Submitted by Jessica Tomlinson

The Canadian Tire/Bantam girls Jets team had a busy hockey filled weekend.

Friday evening the team travelled to North Frontenac to face  the Napanee Crunch.  The game ended in a tie with the lone goal for the Jets being scored by Haley Goulet unassisted who forechecked hard ended up in a scramble in front of the net got the puck and shot it in past the pads of the Crunch goalie.

Saturday afternoon the Jets took on the Peterborough Ice Kats on home ice in front of a large Hockey Day crowd. The first period was scoreless but near the end of the second Goulet started off the Jets getting a rebound goal in front of the net assisted by Emily Alexander. Emma Tidey followed early in the third with a beautiful right top corner wrist shot assisted by Gillian Rosik. Beth Brownlee fought hard for the puck in front of the Ice Kats net and tapped the puck in assisted by Jaylin Frost. The final goal for the Jets and her second of the game was by Tidey who received a stick to stick pass from defensive player Ryan Rupnow and gracefully put the puck past the Ice Kats netminder.

Sunday afternoon the team hit the road and headed to Peterborough to play the Ice Kat’s again. The team came out flying and all of their hard work paid off with a 7-1 win. Trista Young started off the scoring streak for the Jets with a backhander assisted by Brownlee. Goulet added a single on the rebound assisted by Hannah McMann. Rosik got the third goal of the game  with a snapshot top right corner assisted by Tidey. McMann with her signature hard wrist shot added two to the scoreboard assisted by Goulet. Mackenzie Hudder retrieved her own rebound and scored her first goal of the season unassisted. Tidey assisted by Alexander raised the puck and scored blocker side on the Ice Kats. Great teamwork paid off and everyone played hard throughout the game.

Bella Smolen once again held her own in net and played three amazing games adding to the team’s success.

This coming weekend the Jets will be away participating in the Kitchener Fall fest tournament. Good luck girls!  The team coaches bench staff and parents would like to thank their sponsors Canadian Tire and Parkview Dental who continue to make all of this possible.

Submitted by Linda Goulet

The Highland Storm Pepper Mill Steak and Pasta House Dollo’s Foodland Bantam A took on the Brock Wild in Minden last Friday evening. The Storm ran into penalty trouble after dominating the first few minutes and the Wild took full advantage scoring first with two Storm players in the box.

The Wild would go up by two after some undisciplined play put the Storm at a disadvantage again sending another two players to the sin bin. Desi Davies’ goal cut the Brock lead in half but the Wild would soon regain their two-goal cushion when Storm goaltender Ben Landry mishandled a low shot. From that point on in the second period the Storm came flying back with four unanswered goals by Tyson Clements Jaxon Gill Tim Turner and his second of the evening by Davies to allow the Storm to take a 5-3 lead going into the final frame. Clements scored again early in the third on a sniper backhand and Davies got the hat trick in a convincing 7-4 Highland Storm victory.

On Saturday the team travelled down to Whitby for a game against the Durham Crusaders hoping for a better result than their 11-4 loss in their first meeting early in the season. It did look promising at the start with Jaxon Gill scoring 90 seconds in giving the Storm the lead they would hold on to throughout the period. Nate Miscio made some absolutely stellar saves but the Crusaders finally broke through with a couple of quick goals to take a 2-1 lead into the third. The turning point was the third Crusaders’ goal after substantial pressure by the Storm who came that close to tying the game at two. The Crusaders popped in a couple more before Storm forward Desi Davies found the back of the net. Losing 5-2 the game was far closer than the score indicates. Next Bantam game is Nov. 24 in Minden vs. the Huntsville Otters.

Submitted by Gord Hoenow

On Thursday Nov. 16 the Atom AE’s travelled to Port Carling to take on the Muskoka Rock. The Storm players started out strong in the first period. Jace Mills received a pass from Evan Jones for the first goal and ending the first period. Going into the second period the Rock fought back hard and the Storm players were unable to keep ahead resulting in a 10-1 loss. A big shout out to Liam Harrison for receiving player of the game for his hard work.

They returned to Port Carling on Sunday Nov. 19 for a second game against Muskoka Rock. Into the first period Maclean Rowden received a pass from Parker Simms and scored the Storm’s first goal. A short two minutes after that Isaac Lee got a hold of the puck and passed it to Mills who put the puck into the net for the Storm’s second goal. All of the Storm players played hard and with determination but in the end the Rock took the lead and ended the game with a 9-2 win. Emery Bagshaw took home the player of the game for her hard work and determination! The Atom AE take on the Almaguin Ice Devils for a doubleheader on Saturday Nov. 25 at 12:30 and 3:30 p.m. at the A. J. LaRue Arena in Haliburton.

Submitted by Lisa Reinwald

The Cottage Country Building Supplies/Ridgewood Ford Highland Storm Atom A’s hosted the Parry Sound Shamrocks at the S.G. Nesbitt Arena on Saturday Nov. 18.

The Highland Storm Atom team fought hard but lost to the Parry Sound Shamrocks 5-1. The only goal was scored by Colby Coumbs.

The Cottage Country Building Supplies/ Ridgewood Ford Highland Storm Atom A’s will be hosting the Brock Wild at 2 p.m. at the A.J. LaRue Arena on Saturday Nov. 25 and on Sunday Nov. 26 they will be travelling to Elmvale to face the Coyotes at 3:30 p.m.

Submitted by Amber Card

The Highlander and Smolen Family Dentistry Midget team travelled to Bracebridge Nov. 17 18 19 to participate in the Tim Greavette tournament. A great effort by the team took them into the semi-finals which they loss against the South Muskoka Bears 3-2 in overtime. The tournament pushed the Storm to all limits. Tournaments are great fun and an awesome practice experience for the team which the first game turned out to be.

They were off to a good start and won 5-2 against the Wasaga Stars. The Storm team came out strong in the first period and captured a 3-0 lead. It proves a passing team is a winning team as each goal came from a great pass to an open player. The first two goals were scored by Owen Smith passes from Owen Patterson-Smith. Next it was Manning who deflected a shot from Prentice. Next period it continued with a pass from Boice to Owen Patterson-Smith that widened the gap to 4-0. The Storm’s defence stood strong shutting down the Stars’ attempts. The third period showed more team work as passes from all around ended on the stick of open Boice and claimed a 5-0 lead. Later the Stars took advantage of a couple power plays and scored making it a 5-2 game.

The Storm team met their match the following game and succumbed 3-0 to the Lincoln Blades. The Storm Midgets regrouped after that devastating loss and was ready the next day to face the Ennismore Eagles. That proved to be an intense do or die game. The only goal came fairly early in the third period. It was the Storm team that squeezed one in and then continued to hold off the Eagles.

That win allowed the Storm into the semi-finals against the South Muskoka Bears. The Storm have won all games against the Bears in regular season and for some it was a for-sure win but today was a new day. The first period proved to be a warm up and ended scoreless. The Midget team was baffled in the second period after the Bears clawed two unanswered goals. They worked hard trying to connect the passes to rushes to shots on goal. It finally came early in the third with tremendous effort. Back and forth by O’Neill Flood Owen Patterson-Smith then a goal. The Storm continue to push trying to tie it up. A nail biter with three seconds left the Storm captured the tying goal while on a power play and with the extra man.

Next…overtime four-on-four then it was three-on-three. With tournament legs showing it was a devastating loss as they folded 3-2 to the Bears. Come out and cheer on the Midget team as they take on the Kawartha Coytoes on Nov. 21 at 8:30 p.m. in Haliburton and on Nov. 24 at 8:30 in Minden when they take on the Brock Wild.

Submitted by Suzanne Haedicke

On Saturday Nov. 18 the JoAnne Sharpley’s Source for Sports Haliburton Family Medical Centre Peewees hosted the Parry Sound Shamrocks.

Both teams battling hard in the first period the Storm was the first to strike with Cooper Coles scoring unassisted. The luck was with the Shamrocks and they scored three quick goals to put them up 3-1 going into the second. Both teams battling in the second and Storm goalie Taylor Consack settling in to keep his team in the game the Storm went on the attack. The Storm got back on the board in the third with Austin Boylan scoring assisted by Kaine Brannigan and Gage Hutchinson to put them within one.  The Storm kept at it with Kyan Hall scoring to tie it up assisted by Aiden Perrott. The Shamrocks got a goal by a deflection to give them the go ahead goal and the final score at the buzzer 4-3. The Peewees head to Omemee on Wednesday Nov. 22 to play the Kawartha Coyotes and head to Brighton on Nov. 25 for a one day tournament and then to Elmvale for a 4:30 game on the 26th.

Submitted by Ron Hall