It's all about the playoff action for minor hockey

The following are minor hockey dispatches about teams based in and outside the county.

Published Feb. 27 2018

The Canadian Tire/Parkview Dental Bantam Girls Jets achieved their goal of making it to provincials with two wins over Ennismore on the weekend.
On Saturday the Jets travelled to Lakefield and took the win 3-0 over the Eagles. Scoring for the Jets were Hannah McMann Mackenzie Hudder and Gillian Rosik. All three girls had beautiful wrist shot goals in either top right or top left corners of Ennismores net. Assists went to Ryan Rupnow and Emma Neuman with two.
On Sunday the team hosted the Eagles on home ice and won 5-0. Jaylin Frost’s perseverance and determination in fighting for the puck in front of Ennismore’s net paid off early in the first period. Emma Tidey got the assist. McMann added another shortly after with a precision pass from teammate Beth Brownlee. Brownlee then scored the third of the game on a pass from defenceman Avery Coens. Early in the third Rosik had a beautiful wrist shot goal just over the catcher side of the Eagles’ goalie. Trista Young got the assist. The final goal of the game was scored by Haley Goulet who raised the puck into the top right corner assisted by Emily Alexander on defence.
Bella Smolen had solid performances in net for the Jets and earned two shutouts over the weekend.
The team would like to express their sincerest gratitude and thank their sponsors Canadian Tire and Parkview Dental for their ongoing support throughout the season. Thank you also to the coaching and bench staff manager parents and fans for all their support in helping them make it this far. Come out and support the team at their last home game this Friday at 7 p.m. at the NHCC against the Otonabee Wolverines.
Submitted by Linda Goulet

The Tom Prentice and Sons Trucking Tykes hosted the South Muskoka Bears on Saturday Feb. 24. The Bears came out strong winning the opening faceoff of the game taking the puck down the ice and putting a hard shot on Storm goaltender Carter Braun but they couldn’t get it by him. Receiving a pass from Mason Latanville Storm player Jack Tomlinson rallied back and took advantage of a breakaway opportunity putting it over the glove of the Bears’ goalie. Next Luke Gruppe picked up Evan Perrott’s rebound and sneaks it in the net. Easton Burk added to the scoreboard with a beautiful goal with the assists going to Perrott and Gruppe to end the first. The Bears managed to slide one by Braun early in the second. Fighting back Latanville tried for the wrap-around and Tomlinson recovered the rebound and went to his backhand to get it by the Bears’ goaltender. Not long after Perrott sent the puck to McCartney Saunders putting him on a breakaway but the puck bounced off the post. Saunders chased his rebound into the corner passed it back out front to Tomlinson for the one-timer earning him a hat trick. Early in the third Burk was hungry for his second goal of the game and dug in hard fighting for the puck and jammed it in with the assist going to Perrott. Vanek Logan scored next for the Storm. The Bears got the last goal of the game but the Storm won with a final score of 7-2. Great defensive play throughout the game by Jaxen Casey Zach Prentice Ethan DeCarlo and Matthew Scheffee. Braun played a fabulous game stopping many difficult shots by the Bears. The Tykes travel to Port Carling Feb. 24 to face the Muskoka Rock.
Submitted by Jessica Tomlinson

The Highland Storm Pepper Mill Steak and Pasta House Dollo’s Foodland Bantam A’s faced off against the Frontenac Flyers this past Sunday at A.J. LaRue Arena for game 1 in the best of five semi-final match.
The Flyers put on early sustained pressure and were rewarded with the series’ first goal halfway through the opening period. Brenden Coumbs tied it up for the Storm finishing off a nice passing play with Tyson Clements and Jake Sisson. Frontenac regained the lead shortly after the Storm killed off a penalty and made a splendid stop on a Flyer two-on-one rush. Aaron Bellefleur tied the game again when his point shot deflected off a Flyer skate. The Flyers got the next two goals to take a 4-2 lead into the third period.
Sam Hoenow closed the gap a bit in the third on a Frontenac power play miscue which left Hoenow wide open scoring on a backhand. That was as close as the Highland Storm would get as the Flyers took game one 5-3 with a solid performance over our boys. The team travels to Godfrey this Friday for games 2 and 3 (Saturday) of the series.
Submitted by Gord Hoenow

The Total Site Services Bantam LL team took on South Muskoka in Haliburton this past weekend. Tyler Martin shot a nice one from the blueline deflected by Nick Phippen and the Storm was on the board. The first period saw a lot of back and forth action and near misses for both teams. Ethan Coles tipped in a nice one from Phippen two minutes into the second. Then Tyler Reese Casey and Cody Martin all were successful in finding the back of the South Muskoka net. Then in a flash the tables were turning and the lead we had built up was quickly dwindling. We found ourselves in a tie with the opponents. With five minutes remaining in the third Casey was able to make the crowd cheer as we were back in a good place. Then Jackson Wilson got the insurance goal but they quickly retaliated the score was now 7-6 for the Storm. With one minute left Hunter Winder got a nice one and Wilson solidified the game in a 9-6 win. That was our last regular season game now we are off the Parry Sound for the MPS tournament next week. A special thank you to Maria O’Malley for filling in as goalie for this game.
Submitted by Kathy Martin

The G.J. Burtch Construction Atom AE Storm hosted the Bracebridge South Muskoka Bears at the S.G. Nesbitt Arena in Minden on Saturday Feb. 24. The Bears came on strong and fast. With only a few minutes left of the second period Wyatt Raposo shot over a pass to Maclean Rowden and scored putting the Storm on the scoreboard. Into the third period Jace Mills took the puck and shot into the top corner of the net for the second goal. The Storm weren’t ready to give up yet. Only 14 seconds after that goal Mills received a pass from Raposo and score a third goal. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough to claim the win and the game ended in a 15-3 loss for the Storm.
Submitted by Lisa Reinwald