Highland Storm Minor Hockey

For the week ending Nov. 25 2018


The Highlander and Ed Smolen Family Dentistry Highland Storm Midgets had a busy weekend of hockey. It began with a 4-2 loss against the Huntsville Otters in Haliburton Friday Nov. 23. An action-packed game from the start. The Storm expected a tough game against the Otters and was down 3-0 by the third period. Frustration set in and the penalties began. Late in the game the hard work finally paid off when the Storm closed in on the Otters’ net and MacNaull found the opening. With just over a minute left in the game the Storm pulled the goalie for the extra attacker Huntsville retaliated and the Storm fought back. Seconds left on the clock Vasey fed Smith and he closed the gap 3-2. Huntsville immediately answered back with a goal ending the game 4-2.

The next day the Midgets ripped the Parry Sound Shamrocks 6-3 in Minden. The Storm started the scoring early in the first. Morissette rushed in fed Clements and he deftly rocked a wrap-around goal. The Shamrocks managed to tie the game that ended the first period. The Midgets came out flying in the second. Haedicke collected the puck from Davies deked through the defence and expertly backhanded in the second goal. Next Morissette stole the puck at centre took off on a breakaway and skillfully made it a 3-1 game. The Shamrocks got lucky with another goal now 3-2. The Storm stepped it up Haedicke intercepted a pass and gave it to Robinson. He took a quick shot and picked up his own rebound and a goal. Shortly after the Shamrocks got a breakaway and closed the gap 4-3. The action-filled second period continued as Haedicke controlled the puck behind the net then found Davies open and ready to secure the fifth goal that ended the second. Both teams had a slow start. Late in the third the Storm had some give and go action around the net from Morissette to Clements and he chipped it in to finish off 6-3.

The following day the Midgets travelled to Huntsville and suffered a 3-1 loss. It was a tough game for the Storm team short a couple of key players and the Olympic ice surface. They worked hard to end the first period scoreless and Carson Sisson was a pillar in net. Huntsville wasted no time in the second period scoring seconds into it. The Storm struggled to get control and the Otters took a 2-0 lead. Minutes into the third period Haedicke rushed hard to the net dropped a pass to Robinson then picked up the rebound for a goal. The Otters continued to dominate and got another goal sending the Storm team home with a 3-1 loss. Up next the Midgets will take on the Mariposa Lightning on Tuesday Nov. 27 at 8 p.m. in Haliburton.

By Suzanne Haedicke


On Friday Nov. 23 the Pepper Mill Steak and Pasta House and Dollo’s Foodland Highland Storm Bantams travelled to Pembroke to play in the Silver Stick Tournament. The first game the Storm took on the Kemptville Panthers. The Panthers were on the board first but the Storm battled back with a goal by Dylan Keefer assisted by Mathias Lee. The game was tied headed into the second. The Storm scored taking the lead with another goal by Keefer assisted by Matthew Wilson. The Panthers came back and scored to tie it up again. The Panthers took the lead late in the third but the Storm came right back to tie it up with a goal by Kyan Hall assisted by Nick Phippen and Keefer.

The Panthers came back and scored again the Storm gave everything they could but fell short losing 4-3.

The Storm faced the Gananoque Flames their second game taking advantage on the power play with Phippen scoring assisted by Hall and Keefer. The Storm added to their lead in the second with a goal scored by Keefer assisted by Hall and Wilson. The Storm scored two more in the third but unfortunately they were both called off the Storm maintained the lead and took the game 2-0 giving

goalie Darian Maddock the shutout.

The Storm faced the hometown Pembroke Kings their third game. The Storm were first on the board with a beautiful pass from Evan Armstrong Hall scored on a breakaway. Pembroke tied it up in the second but the Storm took the lead again with a goal by Keefer unassisted. The Kings scored

again to tie it back up. Both teams battled in the third period to try for the win but the game ended in a 2-2 tie. Maddock standing tall in the net again. The Storm awaited for the results to be posted to see if they would play on Sunday but unfortunately the Storm just fell short. Boys you played great be proud of yourselves. The next game for the Bantams is Friday Nov. 30 at 7 p.m. in Minden vs the Ennismore Eagles.

By Lisa Delisle

Peewee A

The JoAnne Source for Sports/Haliburton Family Medical Centre Highland Storm Peewee A’s travelled to the Orono to face the Orono Leafs on Friday Nov. 23. The Storm dominated this game winning 10-0. The goals were scored by Addison St Cyr Austin Boylan Isaac Lee Mak Prentice and Cooper Coles.

On Sunday Nov. 25 The JoAnne Source for Sports/Haliburton Family Medical Centre Highland Storm Peewee A’s travelled to Newcastle to face the New Castle Stars.

The first period was all Newcastle as they scored three goals in the first. In the second Highland Storm fought back with a goal by Addison St Cyr and then a goal by Austin Boylan. But the Stars came back with two more goals and the score was 5-2 going into the third. In the third Addison St Cyr scored another goal trying to close the gap but the Stars scored their final goal and the score was 6-3. A tough loss for the Storm.

Up next on Nov. 27 at 6:30 The JoAnne Source for Sports/Haliburton Family Medical Centre Highland Storm Peewee A’s host the Sturgeon Lake Thunder at the S.G. Nesbitt Arena.

By Amber Card


This past weekend the Haliburton TimberMart/Haliburton Hockey Haven Sports Camp Highland Storm Novice rep team played in the Walt McKechnie Fall Classic in Haliburton. They played their first game against their rivals the Centre Hastings Grizzlies. The Storm fought hard but the Grizzlies got in six goals before Henry Neilson took a pass from Isaac Trotter and fired it in for the Storm. The Storm took a 6-1 loss. The second game seemed to be evenly matched against the West Mall Lightning when the first period ended scoreless. However the Storm outplayed the Lightning the next two periods with goals by Evan Perrott (2) Luke Gruppe Max Rupnow and Matt Scheffee. Goalie Carter Braun earned himself a shutout and the Storm won 5-0.

The Novices completely dominated their third game on Saturday against the Almaguin Ice Devils. Neilson earned a hat trick Perrott scored two goals and Gruppe Scheffee and Trotter all took singles. On Sunday the team battled the Douro Dukes. The crowd was on the edge of their seats through all three periods of back and forth play. Two goals for the Storm by Scheffee and Gruppe and two goals by the Dukes finished the game with a 2-2 tie and confirmed the two teams would match up again in the B championship.

The scoring in the B championship game began with a wicked slap shot by Jack Tomlinson from the blue line. Neilson fired the second one in top shelf still in the first period. The Dukes reciprocated with a goal. In the third period Perrott took a pass from Gruppe and fired it in and Rupnow fought off several Dukes as he took the puck the length of the ice to score the Storm’s fourth goal. The Storm earned the B Champions title with a 4-1 victory. The defensive team of Jaxen Casey Easton Burk Ethan DeCarlo and Jack Tomlinson combined with exceptional goaltending by Carter Braun were essential to the Storm’s success. Congratulations to the team for their hard work! Good luck in the Silver Stick tournament next weekend in Pembroke.

By Sara Gruppe

Atom LL 1

On Saturday the GJ Burtch Construction LL Atom 1 team travelled to Huntsville to face off against the high scoring little Caesar’s LL Atoms. The undefeated Huntsville team had its hands full squaring off against the Storm. Despite numerous scoring opportunities the Storm was unable to get on the board until the end of the second period. Jacob Mantle made some impressive moves to get himself some open ice and put it in the back of the Huntsville net. Assists going to Jacob Davis and Eric Mueller. By the third period with the score 3-1 Huntsville the Olympic sized ice and the short bench began to take its toll on the Storm. The Storm’s Jacob Lloyd had some tremendous saves earning him accolades from the opposing bench staff and player of the game honours. Final 7-1 Huntsville. Next up the GJ Burtch Construction Atoms will host the Silver Stick Qualifier in Haliburton Dec. 1 to 2. Games at 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.

By Jamie Lloyd


The Tom Prentice and Sons and Walker’s Heating and Cooling Highland Storm Tyke team started their season on Nov. 24 when they travelled to Humphrey arena to take on the Port Carling Tyke team. The Tyke team has been practising hard and have been counting down their sleeps until the first game. They played four on four hockey with two-minute shifts non-stop play on half ice. The first 22 minute period saw the Storm coming out strong with a goal by Nixon Ecclestone who then followed it up with three more. Blake Hutchinson ended the first period with a goal of his own. Kelson Baghaw opened up the scoring in the second followed up with two more goals scored by Ecclestone. Nash Wilson earned the Storm another goal followed by a goal for Matthew Mueller. Rowan Johnson ended the game with a wicked shot scoring the final goal of this action-packed game. Brady Burke and Cooper Gilbert showed great defensive play and assisted with many of the goals. Goalie Jackson Robichaud showed off his skills by stopping all but three shots made by Port Carling. Up next the Tyke team will be headed to Campbellford on Dec. 8 where they will be participating in a one day tournament.

By Marita Bagshaw

Novice LL

The Brightwoods Landscaping and Consulting Novice Local League team took to the ice in Bracebridge against South Muskoka Envotek this past Saturday Nov. 24.

Brody Hartwig landed the first goal of the game with only 2:11 left in the first period. The second showed lots of back and forth action with goalie Carter Knapton making some great saves. Storm turned it up in the third dominating most of the period scoring four goals. Zachary Prentice started off just over two minutes in landing a beauty in the net unassisted. Hartwig scored his second of the game assisted by Hunter Hamilton. Tyler Hughes continued adding to the scoreboard assisted by Prentice. And Hartwig ended the scoring unassisted with another hat trick ending the game in a 5-0 score.

These players have continued to improve immensely each week and would love your support at our next home game scheduled for Saturday Dec. 15 at 11 a.m. in Minden.

By Cheryl Smith

Novice 2 LL

On Saturday the the Dewayen Simms LL Novice 2 team hosted the Huntsville Near North in Wilberforce. The Storm came to play and everyone was on fire. McCartney Saunders got a hat trick in the first with assists going to Levi Rowe Travis Rowe and Mason Latanville. Saunders didn’t stop there as he buried his fourth of the game in the second period. Latanville got his first of the game assisted by Cooper Paterson and Levi Rowe. Twelve seconds later Lyla Degeer got her first of the season unassisted. With 25 seconds left in the second Jacob Manning got the puck in the net for his first of the season assisted by Colten Simms and Levi Rowe. Brycen Harrison was next to land one in the net at the beginning of the third with an assist going to Paterson. A minute later Huntsville was finally able to sneak one in but Latanville quickly answered back assisted by Harrison. Huntsville landed another in the net making the score 9-2. Again the Storm answered back with an unassisted goal from Harrison. Final score 10-2 Storm.

By Stephanie Harrison

Midget LL

The Highland Storm Pharmasave LL Midgets played a rematch game versus the Highland Storm Total Site Services last Friday in Minden. Like their first meeting the game was very fast paced and entertaining however the game remained scoreless particularly because of strong defensive work by Pharmasave and some very impressive saves by Total Site Services goaltender Damian Harris. Pharmasave did get on the scoreboard first near the end of the second period when Brenden Newhook in close buried a lovely pass from Paul Turner from behind the net giving Pharmasave the lead going into the third period. Jayme Coleman had two beautiful scoring chances on an early shift and Paul Turner had another chance as well but Harris continued to make highlight reel saves. Jake Sisson and Sam Hoenow were finally able to get pucks past the feisty goaltender to make it 3-0 Pharmasave. Sisson popped in one more shortly after and Nate Miscio recorded the shutout with help from a strong defensive unit to give Pharmasave a 4-0 win.

The Storm was back on the ice Sunday to face against Huntsville. Huntsville didn’t waste any time scoring early in the game when a player was left wide open in front of Nate Miscio. Huntsville went up by two at the end of the opening period when again a player was left alone. Teo O’Malley made it 2-1 on a pretty rush finished off with a nice wrist shot. Huntsville regained their two-goal lead in the final seconds of the period to take a 3-1 lead into the third. Huntsville took a commanding three-goal lead on a shot deflected from the point and would go on to win 4-1.

By Gord Hoenow

Midget LL

The Total Site Services Highland Storm Midget LL team faced Haliburton Pharmasave Midget team on Nov. 16 at A.J. LaRue Arena. Both teams were evenly matched and there were no goals scored in the first period. Total Site Services’ only goal was scored by Caden Little with the assist going to Melissa Brinkos. Final score was 3-1. Many thanks to Parker Casey on a job well done for playing in net as a first time goalie! The Total Site Services Highland Storm Midget team played Parry Sound Tamarack North at S.G. Nesbitt Arena in Minden on Nov. 18. Parry Sound scored two goals but Total Site Services came back and scored the next three with goals by Caden Little (unassisted) Haley Boylan with assists to Cody Martin and Melissa Brinkos and Hunter Arnott (unassisted). Great goaltending by Damon Harriss for keeping his team in the game with his great saves! Final score 5-3 for Parry Sound. The next game is Nov. 23 at 8:30 p.m. at S.G. Nesbitt Arena in Minden.

By Sharon Brinkos