Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced changes to the provincial lockdown this week. It’s expected that Haliburton County will move out of lockdown on Feb. 16.

Haliburton County to remain in lockdown until at least Feb. 16

By Mike Baker

The provincial stay-at-home order will remain in place for residents of Haliburton County for at least another week.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced on Monday [Feb. 8] that the lockdown had been extended for most of the province, with a transition back to the colour-coded regional shutdown measures to begin this week.
“Today, we’re seeing some sunlight break through the clouds,” Ford said in his address to the public. “My friends, the measures are working. Staying home is saving lives… We can’t return to normal, but we can transition out of the province-wide shut down.”

Three regions will see COVID-19 restrictions loosened on Wednesday [Feb. 10], with Hastings Prince Edward public health; Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox and Addington public health; and Renfrew County and district health unit transitioning back to the green zone.

It’s expected that the Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge district health unit will move out of lockdown on Feb. 16, alongside most other regions across the province. Ford announced however that Toronto, Peel and York regions would remain in lockdown until at least Feb. 22.

There was some good news for business owners, with Ford stating that non-essential retailers within lockdown zones, including ours, will be allowed to open their doors with a 25 per cent capacity limit. The same applies to some other businesses, including discount and big box retailers, liquor stores, hardware stores and garden centres.

Ford noted that personal care services are to remain closed, while gatherings at residences are still prohibited.

Indoor recreational fitness facilities and ski hills will also remain closed, Ford said.