Minor hockey for up to Jan. 6

Published Jan. 8 2019

The following are hockey briefs for the Storm and the Jets.

The Park View Dental/Bancroft IDA Midget Girls Jets team won all six of their games this past weekend at the New Year’s Classic Bearcats Tournament in Belleville. Their complete team effort included outstanding goaltending solid defence and timely scoring. The Jets would like to thank their sponsors Park View Dental and the Bancroft IDA for their ongoing support throughout the season.

On Sunday the Highland Storm Bantam Pepper Mill Steak and Pasta House and Dollo’s Foodland Bantams travelled to Huntsville to play the West Ferris Trappers. The Storm took the lead midway through the first period with a goal scored by Dylan Keefer. The Trappers quickly responded and with two minutes left in the first period the Storm answered back taking the lead once more with a goal by Keefer assisted by Jackson Wilson and Kyan Hall. The Storm found more momentum in the second period with another goal scored by Keefer assisted by Jackson Wilson and Kyan Hall. The Storm found more momentum in the second period with another goal scored by Keefer earning himself a hat trick. Then another two goals by Kyan Hall with assists from Wilson and Hunter Winder. Amazing goaltending by Darion Maddock holding the Trappers at 2 for the majority of the second period and all the third. At one point Maddock was flat on his face stopping the puck jumping back on his feet to catch the rebound. At the top of the third Keefer found the net once again assisted by Mathias Lee with a final score of 6-2. That completes the regular season games for the Bantams. Wish them luck as they head into playoffs.
By Jessica Lloyd

The Highlander and Ed Smolen Family Dentistry Highland Storm Midgets met with the Lindsay Muskies for the last regular season game Wednesday Jan. 2 and brought home a 4-2 victory. It was a slow start for both teams and that led to a scoreless first period. The Storm team had many scoring opportunities but the Muskies took a 2-0 lead by the second period. The Storm brewed and came to life midway through the period. Walker and Gilbert created the scoring chance that Clements capitalized on. Early in the third Clements deflected a point shot by Walker tying the game. Later Gilbert took a pass from Haedicke and beat the goalie with a nice backhand goal making it 3-2 for the Storm. Seconds left in the game Haedicke fed Gilbert once more and he secured the win with an empty-netter. It was a well-played penalty free game. The midgets ended the regular season with a 4-2 win and a 2018/19 team record of 9-11-5. The MPS play downs began January 5th in Huntsville. The Storm had an awesome start with a 4-0 shutout win against the Parry Sound Shamrocks. The Storm team dominated this game and Smith nabbed a natural hat-trick in the first period. Early in the second period Smith maneuvered behind the net made a quick pass to MacNaull he finds open Clements to make it a 4-0 game. The Shamrocks worked hard and Sisson kept them off the scoreboard and took the shutout win. Later that day the Storm was silenced by the Huntsville Otters 6-2. A fast paced game from the start with the Otters taking a 2-0 lead early in the first. The Storm got lucky with a goalie error and Coumbs was there to make it a 2-1 game. Both teams worked hard during the second period the Otters got ahead with a few goals and made it a 5-1 game. The Storm stepped up in the third period with enormous effort that resulted in a goal. Haedicke pushed hard along the boards passed to Smith he moved in and chipped it to MacNaull for the well-earned goal. The Otters managed another goal and took the game 6-2. The next day the midgets played a great game against the South Muskoka Bears which ended with a 2-2 tie. An intense and scoreless first period was played. The end to end action continued into the second period both teams fighting for a goal. Minutes left in the period the Bears got lucky with a goal. Shortly after MacNaull stole the puck and tied the game. The Bears got the go ahead goal early in the third. MacNaull did it again and found the opening to tie it up 2-2. The Storm team needed to win and pulled the goalie with minutes left. The intensity grew with immense effort by the Storm team and the clock ticked down the game ended 2-2.
By Suzanne Haedicke

The Haliburton TimberMart and Haliburton Hockey Haven Sports Camp Highland Storm Novice Rep Team rang in the New Year with a bang playing three games on the weekend. In their first game the Huntsville Otters put in the first goal but Evan Perrott evened the score a minute later. Isaac Trotter fired in the second goal then the Otters tied up the game before the end of the second. The Storm dominated the third period with another goal by Perrott and a goal by Max Rupnow for a 4-2 win for the Storm.
The Novices played a strong game against the well-matched Lindsay Muskies. The Muskies stole the first goal just 29 seconds into the game. Henry Neilson struck back with a hard top right shot for the Storm. In the second the teams continued with parallel goals first by the Muskies then two goals 13 seconds apart from Perrott and another point for the Muskies. In the third the Muskies put in their fourth before Luke Gruppe tied it up 4-4. Goalie Carter Braun demonstrated courage and excellent timing on several occasions leaving his net and and hitting the puck out of the end.
The Storm team ruled the game against the Muskoka Rock on Sunday. Neilson led the scoring with a top right shot during a Rock power play. Jack Tomlinson skated the length of the ice and fired a shot which was picked up by Matt Scheffee and knocked in. The Rock then put their first point on the board. In the second Rupnow picked up a rebound and fired it over the goalie who was down. Perrott took a shot that hit the goalie then picked up his own rebound and scored. In the third Rupnow picked up a pass from Jaxen Casey and carried it to the offensive zone then passed to Gruppe who scored top left. The Rock stole another point during a power play. Neilson Scheffee and Perrott all put in second goals before the game ended with an 8-2 Storm win. Easton Burk held the blue line and Ethan DeCarlo demonstrated strong back checking. Good luck to the Novices next weekend in the Muskoka-Parry Sound tournament in Sundridge.
By Sarah Gruppe

The JoAnne Source for Sports/Haliburton Family Medical Centre Highland Storm Peewee A’s traveled to Orono for a one day tournament. The first team Storm faced was the Brock Wild. The first period the Storm has a hard time keeping it out of their end. Brock scored the first goal. Than Cash Fowler rocketed a shoot in to tie it. But Brock scores shortly after. Followed by a goal by Addison St Cyr to tie the game again. But after that Brock scored two more goal to make the game 4-2 going into the second. The second started with two goals by Brock. However on a power play Aiden Perrott scored a beauty goal. Brock scored one more goal to end the period at 7-3. The third started with a goal by Austin Boylan. The Storm tried to fight back but couldn’t the final score was a 7-4 loss.
The Peewee A’s second game was verse the Norwood Hornets. The first period was only a goal by the Norwood Hornets. The Second period started with a great goal by Addison St Cyr. It’s was back and forth between the ends but it remained the only goal of that period it was a tied game going into the third. The third period Norwood scores on a power play. Than Storm pulled the goalie and Norwood scored. The final score was 3-1 loss for the Storm.
The Peewee A’s made it to the C finals verse the Creemore Hawks. The first period started with an early first of the season goal by Kadin Card. It remained the only goal for the period. The second period started with a pass by Cash Fowler to Cooper Coles who tucked it in the net. Next Addison St Cyr took it from end to end and shot it in. Next Coles scored a solo goal. And then Aiden Perrott took it end to end for a beauty goal. That ended the second with a 5-0 lead. In the third St Cyr scored another goal and it made the final score 6-0. Ethan Dobson walked away with a shutout and a C final win for the Highland Storm.
The Peewee A’s next game was Jan. 5 in Ennismore versus the Ennismore Eagles. The first period was no goals but not from a lack of trying. In the second Addison St Cyr started the goals and then Austin Boylan sent a beauty pass to Beckam Reynolds who sniped it in the net. It was a 2-0 game going into the third. The third was back and forth but Cash Fowler rocketed the puck past the goalie and in the net. Taylor Consack walked away with a hard-earned shutout and a 3-0 win for the Storm.
The Peewee A’s next game was Jan. 6 when Storm hosted the Oro Thunder for an exhibition game. The first period started with a goal by Addison St Cyr. The second period St Cyr scored two more goals giving himself a hat trick. But with four minutes left Oro scored. It was a 3-1 going into the third. The third started with a goal by Oro. Then with three minutes left it was five-on-three Austin Boylan snipes one in. Which made the final score a 4-2 win for Storm.
The JoAnne Source for Sports/Haliburton Family Medical Centre Highland Storm Peewee A’s next game is in Parry Sound for the MPS tournament. First game is at 11 a.m.
By Amber Card

The Highland Storm Pharmasave LL Midgets kicked off 2019 in Bracebridge last Sunday for their first meeting against the South Muskoka Bears. Play was pretty balanced in the first period. The Storms Paul Turner and Brenden Newhook combined a few times and almost scored. Goalie Nate Miscio was strong between the pipes until a puck finally got by him at the end of the period. Teo O’Malley fed a perfect bounce pass to Tim Turner in the second period and Turner made no mistake scoring on a pretty deke. The Bears fired right back though with three quickies to take a commanding 4-1 lead into the final period. The Storm had a two-man advantage but were still unable to cut into the Bears three goal lead and the Bears added one more late in the match for a 5-1 win.
By Gord Hoenow

The Highland Storm Bright Woods Landscaping and Consulting Novice LL team played against Huntsville Davicor this past Saturday Jan. 5. The first period started off slowly for both teams.
Halfway through the second the Storm lit up when Hunter Hamilton scored a beauty top shelf goal unassisted. Then only 20 seconds later Brody Hartwig scored another assisted by Jacob Sutton. Davicor snuck in a quick one with only 20 seconds left in the second period making the score 2-1 going into the third.
Hartwig opened up the third period displaying his phenomenal stick skills skating through the entire offence and landing two quick unassisted goals in the net completing another hat trick for the season. Cruise Neave charged through the offence scoring the fifth goal of the game assisted by Hartwig. Carter Knapton-Shaw played a great game and Davicor managed to sneak in one more goal after a third shot rebound with three minutes left.
Storm fought hard right until the end with numerous scoring chances throughout the game. With only a minute left to play Storm stayed strong in front of the net with Hartwig passing to Tyler Hughes then to Matthew Fairy who ended the scoring with the last goal of the game! Everyone cheered as Fairy shared his joy with friends on the ice and hugs from coaches when he hit the bench! Final score ended in a 6-2 win for Storm.
Sunday Jan. 6 the team travelled to Coca Cola Coliseum to watch the Toronto Marlies in action and got to experience what it’s like to skate in front of a crowd of 6000 people. The team took to the ice at intermission for a fun shoot out challenge! Seventy fans from Haliburton Highlands travelled down to cheer the team on! What an amazing experience for all the players!!
Be sure to come out to the Minden arena Saturday Jan. 12 at 11 a.m. to cheer on this great team as we take on South Muskoka Envotek.
By Cheryl Smith