Firefighters worked to put out a fire that consumed a Wigmog Rd. home on Jan. 8. /Photo submitted by the Dysart Fire Department

Family safe after house fire on Wigamog Rd.

Published Jan. 8 2019

Smoke alarms saved the lives of a family on Wigamog Road during a house fire on Tuesday Jan. 8 Dysart's fire chief says.

The Dysart Fire Department arrived just before 4 a.m. to find the house fully engulfed. Minden Hills Fire Department provided mutual assistance.

According to information from Dysart fire chief Mike Iles firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the attic and south end of the residence. Although the house could not be saved some personal items and memorabilia was salvaged.

Damage is estimated at $250000.

“It is of note that working smoke alarms saved the lives of this family. Upon the sounding of the smoke alarm the occupants safely evacuated the house. Once again this reinforces the importance of having working smoke alarms present” Iles said in a press release.