Eagle Lake area fire results in $60000 smoke damage

A fire started in an Eagle Lake areahome after mattress material against an oil furnace chimney pipe wasignited when the furnace came on according to a press release fromDysart et al fire chief Mike Iles.

Neighbours called in the sound of asmoke alarm and smoke coming from the building where no one washome on Cosmic Lane on Friday night.

The house was full of smoke when Dysartfire department responded to the scene on Nov.1 just after 8 p.m.with 17 firefighters and six fire trucks.

“Firefighters entered the buildingand located the fire in the basement furnace room” reads a pressrelease from fire chief Mike Iles. “Firefighters removed burningmaterial and extinguished the fire.”

While firefighters were able to removethe burning material and put out the fire and though there wasminimal structural damage and no water damage to the buildingextensive smoke damage caused an estimated $60000 in damage.

“Furnace and electrical rooms shouldbe maintained free of debris and combustibles” reads the pressrelease. “Never store items near furnaces water heaters orelectrical panels. Please ensure that your homes and cottages haveworking up to date smoke alarms on all floors outside sleepingareas and carbon monoxide alarms outside of all sleeping areas.”

No injuries were reported.